How to Get More Members and Allies
Download this resource
- Provide food at your meeting
- Put an announcement in the daily bulletin or assembly
- Advertise at club day - have a table and pass out ribbons or lollypops with a sticker with the name of your GSA
- Participate in school pride or spirit week at your school
- Set up an info table at lunch or special events in a visible place
- Pass out rainbow ribbons or GSA buttons to GSA supporters
- Make flyers or posters about specific meetings, topics, or events and post around campus
Example: Make flyers defining what a straight ally is with information about your GSA at the bottom
- Ask teachers to permanently post your group's general flyer in their classroom
- Get an article about your group in the school paper
- Hold a "bring-a-friend day" at your GSA meeting
- Have an open GSA meeting where you show a movie or have a speaker
- Make presentations at other clubs' meetings about your group; invite these clubs to make presentations at your GSA meeting.
- Send group representatives to classes to make an announcement about your group's meetings or activities
- Put together a panel of speakers for a conference or similiar event
- Set up a time to speak to teachers at faculty meetings or help conduct an in-service/teacher training
- Create a display in your library (i.e. for Queer History Month) or display case in a hallway
- Practice Guerilla Theater: stage a public exchange between GSA members about homophobia or transphobia and your GSA
- Partcipate in the Day of Silence Project: www.dayofsilence.org
- Invite teachers, faculty, and staff to GSA meetings
- Write a letter to your school board asking for support
- Spread the word! Tell others about your GSA!
- Make a website, myspace, or facebook page for your GSA
- Keep a guest log at your meetings! Personally invite people back with a follow up thank you card.
- Have a contest to see which person can bring in the most new (and consistent!) members
- Take notes at meetings and then send them out. People are more likely to come back if they stay updated on what's going on
- Make business cards with location, time, and dates of your meetings. Pass them around or just drop them in random places wherever you go.
- Go out of your way to be nice to new folks! Make them feel super welcome!
Source URL: https://gsanetwork.org/resources/building-your-gsa/how-get-more-members-and-allies