“We the People stand against the United States of Horror, and we will trek to new horizons.”
Applications Now Open!
The deadline to apply for this year's Queering Brotherhood Fellowship is August 30, 2019.
The GSA Network Queering Brotherhood Fellowship is for boy/bois, men and gender non-conforming youth of color in the greater Los Angeles and Long Beach area to explore racial and gender justice in a cohort-style fellowship. The fellows will engage with tools and trainings to learn about issues that impact gay, bi, trans and queer (GBTQ) boys/bois, men, and gender non-conforming youth of color. Our fellows are empowered to lead transformative efforts of progressive change and advance justice in their school and communities as youth organizers and advocates.
About the Fellowship
This Fellowship was established in 2013 to recognize and uplift young LGBTQ+ Boys/Bois, Men and Gender Non-Conforming Youth of Color in Southern California. This is a unique opportunity for youth who identify themselves on the Queer and Trans spectrum to connect with a countywide coalition, the Brothers, Sons, Selves Coalition, working towards improving the lives of young folks through grassroots policy campaigns.
We will select up to 10 students to participate in the fellowship. This is a paid social justice fellowship that begins in Sept 2018 and run through June 2019. We will provide a monthly stipend of $120 to help cover transportation costs.
We encourage anyone interested who meets the criteria below to apply. We will review all applications received.
Students who live in or attend school in Boyle Heights, South LA/South Central, and Long Beach will be given priority in some of the available slots.
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 19
- Must be enrolled in a public school in greater Los Angeles or Long Beach
- While it is not mandatory for Fellows to be members of GSA clubs, all Queering Brotherhood fellows should expect to be involved in working on LGBTQ and Education Justice issues.
- Make a commitment as a fellow to be a representative of your neighborhood and the Brothers, Sons, Selves (BSS) Coalition.
- Prepare for and attend both our monthly fellowship and coalition-meetings gatherings. Note: The average number of meetings in a month is 3-4. However, in some months, fellows are expected to participate in rallies to advocate for their rights at their school district. Additionally, we expect fellows to be able to take public transportation or get a ride to a majority of our meetings, which usually are held in Downtown LA.
- Identify the needs of LGBTQ youth in your schools and community at large and guide the direction of the GSA Network.
- Be passionate about racial and gender justice.
Please contact Andy Gonzalez at email@example.com if you have any questions.